Fire Calls 01-12-2015 to 01-25-2015

The Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 229 incidents during the period of 01-12-2015—01-25-2015 bringing the yearly total to 440 incidents.

Fire: Platoon 2 was dispatched for a report of a fire in the 2500 block of Ferry Avenue at 11:10 a.m. on 1-13-15. The resident stated that she was taking a nap and woke up to the smell of smoke and discovered that her kitchen light on the ceiling was on fire. After extinguishment, damage to the ceiling was estimated at $2000. The cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction.

Fire: A fire in a kitchen oven sent Platoon 1 to the 1500 block of Lafayette Avenue at 7:44 p.m. on 1-13-15. Items stored in the oven caught on fire when the oven was turned on. Responding crews carried the stove outside of the residence and extinguished the fire, limiting the damage to the kitchen.

Vehicle fire: A call of a garage fire in the 400 block of 80th St. sent a full assignment from Platoon 4 at 9:59 a.m. on 1-19-15. The owner of a 1986 Camaro inside the garage was welding a section of the car, and a spark started the carpet inside the trunk on fire. Quick work by arriving units limited the damage to the car itself. $500 damage to the vehicle–none to the garage.

Vehicle fire: Engine 4 and Truck 1 responded to the 700 block of Cedar Avenue for a vehicle fire at 11:15 p.m. on 1-20-15. The interior of a 2003 Volvo was completely involved in fire upon their arrival. The fire was determined to be intentionally set resulting in $4000 damage and remains under investigation by Fire and Police.

Vehicle fire: A vehicle fire on an abandoned road in the 9300 block of Read Avenue required Engine 9 and Truck 2 to respond at 7:28 p.m. on 1-21-15. A 2001 Chevy Suburban was fully engulfed in fire upon their arrival. No accidental means could be determined to be the cause of this fire and it is considered an arson. Damage –$3200.

Fire:Unattended cooking was the reason for a kitchen fire in the 8500 block of Pershing Avenue at 3:17 p.m. on 1-22-15. The occupant had started to cook some tater tots with cooking oil and forgot about them as she left to pick her kids up at school. Damage to the stove and kitchen was$3000.

Note: Wood burning stoves: Install wood burning stoves following manufacturer’s instructions or have a professional do it. All fuel burning equipment should be vented to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Install and maintain CO alarms. If you smell gas in your gas heater, do not light the appliance. Leave the home immediately and call the Fire Department.