Fire Calls 01-16-2012 to 01-22-2012

The Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 109 incidents during the period of 1-16-12——1-22-12 bringing the yearly total to 348 incidents.

01-17-12— Platoon 3 responded to a report of a kitchen fire at an apartment complex in the 9000 block of St. John St. at 12:22 p.m.  The resident had started to pre-heat her oven, forgetting she had a pizza box stored inside. This is a common cause of oven fires. Damage was mostly from the accumulated smoke.
01-18-12– Platoon 3 was sent to another kitchen fire in the 3400 block of 9th St. at 9:47 p.m.  Unattended cooking upon the stove top activated the smoke alarm. Quick work by arriving crews kept damage to a minimum.
01-19-12— A dumpster fire in the 8600 block of Buffalo Ave. sent Engine 9 to the scene at 3:11 p.m. Dumpster fires can be labor intensive as it requires the crew to dig away at the garbage/debris in order to reach the seat of the fire. Captain Dennis Toth, Firefighters Mark Mundy, John Martino, and Dwon Daniels worked for an hour before extinguishment was complete. $200 damage.
01-20-12— A full assignment from Platoon 4 went to a structure fire in the 1000 block of Niagara Ave. at 1:43 a.m. The vacant 2 1/2 building had heavy fire showing from the 2nd story extending into the attic space. One set of stairs to the 2nd floor had been removed, delaying access to the fire and creating an additional safety hazard to the firefighters. Also, the two closest hydrants were frozen and the water supply had to be delivered from a hydrant further down the street. These situations are common to the NFFD and compel a quick decision to a “Plan B”. Units remained on the scene for 3 1/2 hours for this fire of a suspicious origin. Damage estimated at $10,000.
01-20-12—Engine 7 and Truck 2 responded to a vehicle fire just down the street from their quarters in the 400 block of 72nd St. at 11:44 a.m. Overheated brakes caused $1000 damage before extinguishment.
01-20-12–Platoon 2 were called to a kitchen fire in the 400 block of 17th St. at 7:52 a.m. In another case of unattended cooking, the resident burned his hand trying to remove the pan from the stove. A nearby fire extinguisher would have been a better solution. Damage to building and contents was $2000.