Fire Calls 01-26-2015 to 02-01-2015

The Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 141 incidents during the period of 01-26-15—02-01-15 bringing the yearly total to 581 incidents.

Emergency medical response/fire: Engine 3’s crew consisting of Captain Mike Burke, Firefighters Anthony Ross, Nick Pino, and Gordon Stewart III responded to a call of an elderly man down in a house in the 2100 block of Jerauld Avenue at 10:45 a.m. on 1-26-15. While attending to the patient’s medical problem, the crew smelled an odor of natural gas in the house. National Fuel was notified and responded. A malfunctioning furnace was the cause of the problem, and when National Fuel attempted to re-light the furnace, a small fire started in the unit . After extinguishment, damage was listed at $300. The patient was transported to a local hospital for further evaluation.

Fire: Platoon 3 under the command of Battalion Chief Greg Colangelo were dispatched to the 500 block of 6th St. for a building fire at 11:05 a.m. on 1-26-15. Upon arrival crews discovered a fire which had originated on the first floor spread up a pipe chase to the third floor. The reason for the fire was determined to be an electrical problem. Crews were on the scene for 2 hours and damage was estimated a $10,000. One resident was displaced and was assisted by Red Cross with temporary living arrangements.

Fire: A fire in a large pile of wood chips at an industrial facility in the 5300 block of Frontier Avenue sent Platoon 4 at 6:40 p.m. on 1-26-15. These fires are deep seated in the pile and to extinguish them takes a combination of water from firehoses while heavy equipment moves the pile. They are the result of a heat build-up in the pile due to decaying bacteria in the product. Piles of wood chips have limits on their height and size and facilities that use them in their processes are under increased scrutiny by the Bureau of Fire Prevention.

Fire: Another wood chip fire at a storage facility in the 2000 block of College Avenue required Platoon 4 to respond at 5:57 a.m. on 1-28-15. Once again, firehoses and heavy equipment were needed for an extended period of time to ensure extinguishment.

Fire:Platoon 4 was sent to the 400 block of 18th St. for a house fire at 5:54 p.m. on 1-28-15. Crews found a fire in the living room near the fireplace and then discovered that the fire burned through the floor of an improperly protected fire box in the fireplace, subsequently spreading to the walls around the chimney and to the cockloft above. Damage to building and contents was pegged at $21,000.
Fire: A man attempting to melt the ice in his gutters with a torch accidentally started the siding on fire, sending Platoon 2 to the 2900 block of McKoon Avenue at 3:17 p.m. on 1-31-15. Crews had to remove some of the damaged siding to extinguish the insulation that was burning underneath. Damage $500.