Fire Calls 03-01-2015 to 03-15-2015

The Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 268 incidents during the period of 03-01-15—-03-15-15 bringing the yearly total to 1381 incidents.

Fire: A full assignment from Platoon 2 was dispatched to the 600 block of 72nd St. for a report of a structure fire at 11:00 a.m. on 03-03-15. Workers using a hand held torch in an attempt to thaw out frozen pipes caused the insulation, siding, and wood underneath the siding to catch fire. The fire was confined to the outside of the home, but did damage the water pipe inside the home, resulting in a water leak in the basement. Total damage after extinguishment was estimated at $4000.

Fire: An overfused electrical panel in a house in the 700 block of 15th St. created a fire at 10:12 a.m. on 03-07-15 (see note below about over-fusing). Engine 4 and Truck 1 responded and were able to keep damage to a minimum. The owner of the house came to the the scene and replaced the fuses with the proper size . He also installed new smoke detectors to replace old, non-functioning units.

Fire: Platoon 3 was sent to the 400 block of 9th St. for a call of a kitchen fire at 9:21 p.m. on 03-09-15. Residents who were cooking pork chops in a pan left the room and upon returning discovered that the flaming pan had started the kitchen cupboards and the curtains around a window on fire. A man who attempted to remove the pan and throw it in the sink, burned both hands and the top of his head. An accessible fire extinguisher would have been a better option. The man was treated on the scene and transported to a local hospital for further evaluation. Damage to the kitchen was limited to $500.

Industrial accident/extrication: Platoon 1 responded to a report of a man who had caught his arm in a piece of equipment at an industrial facility in the 3100 block of Buffalo Avenue at 1:37 p.m. on 03-11-15. Truck 1’s crew consisting of Captain Brent Curcio, Firefighters Brian Patronski, Chris Finitz, and Chris Valint used pry bars and hand tools to free the employee from the machinery. The man was transported to a local hospital for additional treatment.

Vehicle fire: Engine 3 and Truck 1 were sent to the 2900 block of 22nd St. for a car fire at 4:16 p.m. on 03-11-15. Upon arrival crews found a 2006 Cadillac with it’s engine compartment completely involved in fire. The reason for the fire was that a man who was working on a gas leak under the the hood was doing so with a lit cigarette causing the ignition of the fire. Damage pegged at $5000.

Fire: Platoon 1 was dispatched to the 2200 block of Ontario Avenue for a porch fire at 2:14 p.m. on 03-12-15. Careless disposal of a cigarette was the cause of the fire which resulted in $500 damage.

Note: Over–fusing Electrical Systems—-Fuses and circuit breakers limit the power to a level that your wires can safely handle. A circuit with too many electrical devices can exceed the circuit’s limit. That is when the proper sized fuse or circuit breaker will shut off the electricity flow to the wires preventing them from getting too hot. A properly fused circuit guards against the threat of fire. A properly fused circuit in your home will have a 15 amp fuse protecting 14 gauge wires. If the fuse “blows” and to correct the problem, you replace the fuse with a 20 or 30 amp fuse—this is overfusing. The problem is not solved and a new dangerous is created instead. Check your fuse boxes for proper sized fusing. 30 amp fuses often indicate an overfused circuit. If you find 30 amp fuses in your house, replace them with the proper sized fuse. If you are not certain, or a circuit repeatedly blows fuses, have a qualified electrician check your electrical system for the cause.

REMINDER–NFFD VS NFPD HOCKEY GAME —03-21-15 AT 7:00 P.M AT THE HYDE PARK ICE PAVILION—SURPRISINGLY ENTERTAINING HOCKEY TO BENEFIT A GREAT CAUSE–THE NIAGARA COUNTY CHAPTER OF COLLABORATION FOR AUTISM SUPPORT AND EDUCATION