Fire Calls 03-23-2015 to 04-05-2015

The Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 257 incidents during the period of 3-23-15—-4-05-15 bringing the yearly total to 1757 incidents.

Fire: Platoon 3 was dispatched to the 2200 block of Michigan Avenue at 7:42 p.m on 3-25-15 for a report of a kitchen fire. A failure to clean the oven before cooking was the cause of the fire. Damage was limited to the oven itself and smoke damage to the kitchen.

Fire: A garage fire in the 2400 block of Monroe Avenue sent Platoon 1 to the scene at 10:55 a.m. on 3-26-15. This garage is located behind a house which had been intentionally set on fire the previous week. This fire was also determined to be intentionally set. A gas can was found nearby and taken for evidence. Also, a surveillance camera showed 3 people leaving the garage minutes before the fire was reported. Fire and Police Investigators remain on the case.
Damage estimated at $5000.

Fire:Platoon 2 responded to the 1600 block of Niagara Street for a structure fire at 9:13 p.m. on 3-26-15. Engine 4’s crew consisting of Captain Frank Guthrie, Firefighters Adam Farinas, Robert Swartz, and Dave Soper advanced a hoseline to the fire in the attic and proceeded to extinguish the fire. This fire in the vacant house was determined to be intentionally started by an ignitable liquid and evidence was taken. Damage was pegged at $10,000.

Fire: A short circuit in the burner controls of a stove started a fire in the kitchen of a house in the 500 block of 19th St. at 8:16 a.m. on 3-30-15. After extinguishment, damage was listed at $500.

Fire:Heavy fire coming from the second floor greeted responding units from Platoon 2 at a house in the 1600 block of Ontario Avenue at 11:55 a.m. on 4-04-15. The residents had a candle burning in the second floor bedroom and forgot about it, ending up with the candle igniting the plastic night stand and spreading to the contents of the bedroom. Engine 3’s crew–Captain Gary Pochatko, Firefighters Tim Kennedy, Paul Pearson, and John O’Malley stretched a hoseline to the fire to put it out. Damage to building and contents was $25,000.