Fire Calls 05-19-2014 to 05-25-2014

The Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 113incidents during the period of 5-19-14—5-25-14 bringing the yearly total to 2451 incidents.

Vehicle fire: Engine 3 and Truck 1 were dispatched to a fire in a 2004 Chrysler at 3:34 a.m. on 5-21-14 in the 1500 block of Calumet Avenue. The fire was determined to have been intentionally set and caused $2000 damage. Fire and Police Investigators continue to conduct their inquiries.

First Aid call: A 9 yr. old boy who had been struck by a vehicle in the 3000 block of Niagara St. at 4:31 p.m. on 5-21-14 was attended to by Engine 8. The boy suffered 2 broken legs which were splinted by the crew consisting of Captain Jeffrey Meacham, Firefighters Eric Abel, Micah Carey, and Derek DeFazio. He was transported to Children’s Hospital by an ambulance for further treatment.

Fire: Platoon 3 sent a full assignment to an apartment in Packard Court at 9:43 p.m. on 5-22-14 for a call of a building fire. Upon arrival crews encountered a large amount of fire in the living room which had started from an electrical problem. Damage to the structure was listed at $20,000 and to the contents at $15,000.

Fire: Crews from Platoon 4 responded to the 700 block of 82nd. St. for a working structure fire at 1:51 p.m. on 5-23-14. Recent remodeling work at the house had accidentally severed a house service electrical line which shorted out and caused the fire. After extinguishment, damage to the building and contents was pegged at $21,000.

Animal rescue: Truck 1 was sent to the 3200 block of Porter Rd. to rescue 6 ducklings who had fallen through a storm sewer grate at 11:46 a.m. on 5-24-14. As the anxious mother paced around, the crew was able to go down into sewer and successfully reunite the family.

Note: Electrical safety: Look around your house for potential problems. And unless you”re a trained electrician,be careful about do-it- yourself electrical projects. Studies have shown that many home fires are caused by improper installation of electrical devices. Replace or professionally repair any any appliances that spark , smell unusual, or overheat. Don’t run electrical wires under rugs. Make sure lamps and night-lights are not touching bedspreads, drapes or other fabrics. Don’t let kids use kitchen appliances by themselves and supervise any art or science projects that involve electrical devices.Cover any outlets that are not in use with plastic covers if you have toddlers or young children in your home.