Fire Calls 07-14-2014 to 07-27-2014

The Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 256 incidents during the period of 07-14-14—07-27-14 bringing the yearly total to 3796 incidents.

Vehicle fire: Engine 3 was dispatched to a field fire in the 3200 block of 9th St. at 2:35 a.m. on 7-20-14. Upon arrival they discovered a 2003 Chevy Impala completely engulfed in fire.Although the vehicle had not been reported stolen, it was found in a known area for stolen and burned vehicles. The loss was estimated at $3200 and remains under investigation.

Garage fire: Platoon 4 sent a full assignment to a garage fire in the 1200 block of Haeberle Avenue at 10:38 p.m. on 07-20-14. The vacant unsecured garage was heavily involved in fire upon the crew’s arrival. Youths were seen running from the scene shortly before the fire was called in. NFFD and Police Arson investigators were summoned–damage pegged at $10,000.

Garage fire: Another intentionally set garage fire was reported in the 2200 block of Independence Avenue at 4:37 p.m. on 7-24-14. Platoon 1 responded under the direction of Battalion Chief Dan Boland and quickly knocked down the fire. Damage to the structure was listed at $11,000 and witnesses are being questioned.

Vehicle fire: A fire that started in the engine compartment of a 1983 Mustang convertible spread to a truck and two motorcycles in a garage in the 1300 block of Maple Avenue at 8:42 p.m. on 07-24-14. Engine 3’s crew consisting of Captain Mike Zambotti, Firefighters Bart DeRosa, Noah Masur, and Donald Lusher were first in and extinguished the fire. The fire was determined to be accidental and resulted in $5000 damage to the garage and $7500 to the vehicles.

Motor vehicle accident with injuries: Platoon 4 was sent to a motor vehicle accident in the 500 block of Hyde Park Boulevard at 9:19 a.m. on 07-27-14. Truck 1’s crew of Captain Joe Azbell, Firefighters Frank Casper, and Joe Kinney used the ‘Jaws of Life’ to extricate 3 people from the car. The injuries were serious enough to send the victims to the ECMC Trauma Center in Buffalo.

Fire: An alarm of a fire in the 2200 block of Willow Avenue dispatched a full assignment from Platoon 3 at 9:25 p.m. on 07-27-14. A clothes dryer that had not been cleaned of lint build-up was the cause of the fire that produced $300 damage to the unit itself and another $300 to the adjacent wall.