The Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 107 incidents during the week of 10-24-11—–10-30-11 bringing the yearly total to 5058 incidents.
10–24–11—-Engine 3 and Truck 1 were dispatched to a motor vehicle accident with injuries in the 4000 block of College Ave. at 1:25 p.m. After stabilizing a woman who complained of neck and back pain, she was transported to a local hospital for further evaluation.
10-24-11— Engine 4 and a fire investigator were sent to the 400 block of 18th St. at 3:27 p.m. for an electrical problem in a house. They discovered numerous electrical violations in the basement including a dangerous overuse of extension cords. A City Electrical Inspector was summoned to the scene to notify the owner of the necessary remedies.
10–24-11—Platoon 3 responded to a report of a possible structure fire at a building in the 9500 block of Niagara Falls Boulevard at 11:18 p.m. Upon arrival they found a light smoke condition in the basement. Crews determined that a malfunctioning furnace was the source of the smoke. Power and gas were shut off to the unit and the owner was notified that repairs would have to be made before it could be restarted. A follow–up by Fire Prevention the next day revealed that the owner had a brand new furnace installed.
10–26-11— A full assignment from Platoon 1 was sent to the 2100 block of North Ave. at 1:26 p.m. for another furnace situation. Responding units encountered a brand new furnace that was smoking due to the fact that the owner’s manual had been left inside the furnace and caught on fire. No damage other than to the manual.
10-27–11– Engine 8, Engine 4, Engine 3, Truck 1 and Car 80 on Platoon 2 responded to a structure fire at a vacant house under renovation at 1636 Falls St. at 2:49 a.m. There was a moderate amount of fire at multiple points of origin in the basement, and on the 1st and 2nd floors. Engine 8’s crew under the leadership of Captain Angela Gebauer with Firefighters Chris Bielec, Joel Stephenson, and Thomas Cutler were able to rapidly knock down the fire. After extinguishment, Fire and Police Arson Investigators determined that this fire was intentionally set with the use of a flammable liquid. Damage estimated at $3000.
10–28-11—If at first you don’t succeed—– The same crews responded at 3:39 a.m. to another arson fire in the basement at 1636 Falls St. Damage this time $5000. If there are any witnesses to these criminal acts, please contact Fire or Police authorities.
Fire Prevention Note: Smoke Detectors—-have saved tens of thousands of lives. Smoke is responsible for three out of four fire related deaths. Install smoke detectors on every level of your home and outside of sleeping areas—also inside the bedroom if you sleep with the door closed. Test every detector at least once a month.[See your instruction book for the location of the test button.] Keep smoke detectors dust free. The old adage to replace batteries when you change the clocks in the spring and fall—this weekend–remains sound advice. If you have a smoke detector directly wired into your electrical system,be sure that the little signal light is blinking periodically. This tells you that the alarm is active. Inexpensive smoke detectors are available for the hearing impaired.