Fire Calls 10-3-11 to 10-9-11

The Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 126 incidents during the week of 10-3-11 to 10-9-11 bringing the yearly total to 4740 incidents. 
10-04-11—–Platoon 1 responded to a report of a building fire at a recreational building in the 700 block of 17th St. at 1:29 a.m. First arriving units discovered an electrical fire in the basement at the main service panel. After ensuring extinguishment, National Grid was notified and power was shut off to the building until necessary repairs could be made. Damage was estimated at $4000.

10-04-11—Engine 4 under the command of Captain Mike Accetta was dispatched to a rubbish fire in the 400 block of 24th St. at 1:40 p.m. Upon arrival the crew found 3 separate rubbish fires had been ignited in the area. Fire and Police investigators were summoned to the scene and a local youth was apprehended and issued a court appearance summons.

10-4-11 —-Engine 8 and Truck 1 were sent to a report of a vehicle fire in the 3900 block of Buffalo Ave. at 4:05 p.m. Upon arrival the companies found a 2000 Chevy Blazer with heavy fire coming from the engine compartment. The fire was quickly extinguished, but not before $2000 damage had occurred. Fire investigators determined the fire was accidental due to a mechanical problem with the engine.

10-04-11— Platoon 1 responded to a complaint of a natural gas odor at an occupied house in the 400 block of 24th St. at 10:14 p.m. Engine 8′ s crew found water and natural gas lines had been removed from the basement and the natural gas was free flowing . Members immediately shut the gas off at the meter and ventilated the building, averting a possible disastrous situation. NFPD were called to the scene to investigate .

10–05–11—- Fire investigators were called to investigate an extinguished car fire in the 2900 block of North Ave. at 11:11 a.m. They discovered a 2000 Ford Explorer with fire damage to the passenger compartment. This fire apparently happened during the night and had burned itself out. As all accidental causes were ruled out, it was determined that this fire was intentional in nature and the investigation continues. Damage was listed at $1000.

10–08–11— Platoon 3 answered an alarm activation at 300 3rd St. at 9:33p.m.—-the Sheraton Hotel. There was no fire,however a guest had accidentally broken a sprinkler head causing a flooding situation. Crews went to work to mitigate the problem by diverting the water from the sprinkler head outlet to the bathtub via a hoseline until the water supply to the affected area could be shut down. Also, water vacuums were employed to minimize water damage.Crews remained on the scene for over two hours.

Fire Prevention note: Gasoline and Other Flammable Liquids——- Those cans aren’t painted red just for the fun of it !! Flammable liquids should be stored only in approved containers, and the containers should be kept outside the house and garage in a separate storage shed. Gas up lawn equipment and snowthrowers outside, away from enclosed areas and any source of sparks or heat. Start the equipment 10 feet from where filled it with fuel. Don’t fill a hot lawn mower, snowthrower, or other motor; let it cool first. Never clean floors or do other general cleaning with gasoline or flammable liquids.