Fire Calls 11-07-2011 to 11-13-2011

The Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 105 incidents during the week of 11-07-11—11-13-11 bringing the yearly total to 5279 incidents.
11-07-11—Platoon 4 was dispatched to a report of a building fire in the 2600 block of Whirlpool Ave. at 1:39 p.m.   An improperly installed wood stove in the basement caught on fire due to a creosote build-up. Extinguishment was rapid, but city building inspectors were called in to further investigate.
11-07-11—Engine 3 was sent to the 1000 block of South Ave. for a call of a smoke detector activated with a smell of smoke in the building at 5:16 p.m.  As no one was home, the crew was  compelled to use forcible entry measures to gain access. An unattended pot on the stove was the source of the problem. The resident arrived home about 40 minutes later. Minor smoke damage.
11-08-11— A full assignment was sent to the 2100 block of Jerauld Ave. at 4:02 p.m. for a report of a possible structure fire. Upon arrival, crews discovered another “pot on the stove” situation. Although fire damage was minimal, there was significant smoke damage.
11-11-11— Engine 4 and Truck 1 responded to a vehicle fire in the 700 block of Ashland Ave. at 7:06 a.m.   A 1996 Chevy had an intentionally set fire in the passenger compartment. Damage was estimated at $1500.
11-11-11– Engine 7, Truck 2, Rescue 1, and Car 80 were dispatched to the 7400 block of Niagara Falls Blvd. for a motor vehicle accident with injuries at 4:11 p.m.   Two people were treated for neck and back injuries and transported to local hospitals for further evaluation.
11-12-11– Engine 8 went to the intersection of B St. and Hyde Park Boulevard for another MVA/injuries at 10:36 a.m.  One person was treated for head injuries and another for hip pain. Both went to NFMMC for additional treatment and two other people signed refusal/ transport forms.

Fire Prevention Note: As the holidays approach, be aware there are even more potential fire hazards to think about. If you use a real Christmas tree in your home, make sure to water it daily—-electric lights strung on a dried out tree are a recipe for disaster. All lights and lighted window ornaments should be inspected every year to make sure that cords are not worn or frayed, and all candles should be used with care. According to the National Fire Protection Association, the number of fires started by candles nearly doubles during the month of December.