Fire Calls 11-14-2011 to 11-20-2011

 

The Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 127 incidents during the week of 11-14-11—–11-20-11 bringing the yearly total to 5406 incidents.

11-15-11—Platoon 4 was dispatched to the 1300 block of Ontario Ave. at 6:55 p. m. to investigate a possible electrical fire. An overloaded circuit in the 2nd floor bedroom caused an outlet to arc and spark. The problem was taken care of and a city electrical inspector was called in to further evaluate the situation.
11-16-11–Engine 7 responded to a vehicle leaking gasoline in the 5600 block of Niagara Falls Boulevard at 1:15 p.m.  The crew used approximately 50 lbs. of “speedy–dry” to contain the leak.
11-16-11– Engine 4 was sent to the 800 block of 17th St. at 6:03 p.m. for a first aid call.  A man working on a roof fell 20 ft. to the ground. After treating the man’s injuries, he was taken to Erie County Medical Center for advanced evaluation.
11-17-11– A man shot in both legs by a shotgun required Engine 3 to respond to the 900 block of Niagara Ave. at 8:16 p.m.  The crew splinted one leg that was broken and attended to the wounds on the other leg. The victim was transported to ECMC.
11-20-11– Platoon 2 sent a full assignment to the site of the construction of the Culinary Arts Institute on Rainbow Blvd. at 11:15 a.m. for a report of smoke in the building. An electrical wire was arcing in a concealed space starting a small fire.  Power was shut off to the involved circuit and damage was minimal.

Fire Prevention Note: The use of candles in homes has become increasingly popular. This has led to an increase of house fires started by candles. The most important rule is this: If you light a candle, a grownup must stay in the room with it. Blow out all candles before going to sleep or leaving the room. Keep candles at least three feet away from anything that can burn. Always use stable candle holders. If possible, use a hurricane glass to protect the open flame. Place candles where they will not be knocked down or blown over and are out of reach of pets and young children. Do not allow children to keep or use candles or incense in their rooms.