Fire Calls 11-21-2011 to 11-27-2011

The Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 111 incidents during the week of 11-21-11 to 11-27-11 bringing the yearly total to 5517 incidents.

11-21-11— Platoon 1 was dispatched to a report of a building fire at 10:49 p.m. in the 800 block of 92nd St.  The fire originated in the clothes dryer and was quickly extinguished. Damage was estimated at $900.
11-22-11— Truck 2 under the command of Captain Allen Benton Jr. responded to a carbon monoxide incident in the 300 block of 71st St. at 7:52p.m.  Using their CO meter, the crew discovered a level of 60 parts per million which is considered an above safe reading. The source of the CO was determined to be the gas stove. The house was ventilated to a safe level and the owner was advised to not use the stove until a repair person evaluated and repaired it.
11-24-11— Battalion Chief Mark Gray and his Platoon 4 Companies were sent to the 500 block of 27th St. for a structure fire on Thanksgiving Day at 12:56 P.M. A kitchen fire was knocked down by Engine 8’s crew consisting of Captain Mike Burke, and Firefighters Dave Trane, Kevin Dobmeier, and Ryan Garrow. The cause is still under investigation. $22,000 damage.
11-24-11— Another Thanksgiving fire was called in to Platoon 3 directed by Battalion Chief Cliff Mayes at 7:04 p.m. in the 600 block of Orchard Parkway.  Crews stretched hoselines to a 2nd floor apartment where an electrical problem with a light fixture started the ceiling on fire and eventually spreading to the attic. $15,000 damage to building and contents.
11-26-11—Engine 8, Engine 4, Engine 3, Engine 7, and Truck 1 responded to a structure fire at a vacant 2 1/2 story building in the 200 block of 24th St. a 4:19 a.m. First arriving units found heavy fire on the 2nd floor. The blaze was declared under control in 30 minutes. A subsequent investigation revealed that the fire had been intentionally set . $25,000 damage.
11-27-11— For the 2nd time in the last week , Engine 8 was dispatched to a large field fire in a remote area near the railyards off Porter Rd.  3:29 p.m.  Due to the fact that there are no hydrants in the vicinity, the Engine had to make several trips back to the street to refill their 500 gallon water tank.

Note: Carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly. Carbon monoxide ( CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas produced by wood- or gas-fueled appliances ( such as heaters, stoves, water heaters, or dryers) that don’t burn properly, as well as by charcoal grills, automobiles, and fireplaces. Feeling very tired(more than usual), having long-lasting headaches,nausea, and dizziness are some symptoms of CO poisoning. Sometimes people may think they have the flu. You should also be suspicious if other people in the house are experiencing the same symptoms at the same time. Install CO detectors in the home near bedrooms and sleeping areas. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation, testing, and replacement of CO detectors. If people are feeling ill and the CO alarm goes off, get out of the house immediately and call 911. Do not go back into the house until the fire department gives you the OK. Never keep a car on and running in the garage, even if the door is open. The home should not be heated with the range or oven. Use a charcoal or gas grill outdoors only. The home’s heating system and chimney should be checked by a professional every year.