Fire Calls 12-19-2011 to 12-25-2011

The Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 105 incidents during the period of 12-19-11—-12-25-11 bringing the yearly total to 5932 incidents.

12-22-11— An intentionally set fire sent Platoon 1 to a house in the 1000 block of Center Ave. at 10:29 p.m. After Engine 3 extinguished the fire, Fire Marshall Carl Parker collected evidence of a flammable liquid pour in this vacant house. Damage was estimated at $1000 and it remains under investigation.
12-23-11— Platoon 2 responded to a possible structure fire in the 1700 block of Whitney Ave. at 4:15 p.m.  Upon arrival crews found a problem with the furnace that required them to call for City Building Inspections to come to the scene. A violation for not having a carbon monoxide detector was issued to the owner.
12-23-11— Engine 3 was dispatched to the 1100 block of Niagara Ave. for another furnace investigation at 6:40 p.m.  There had been an earlier blower motor fire and the furnace was not functioning properly. Numerous other New York State Fire and Property Maintenance Code violations were discovered at this residence and a City Inspector subsequently condemned the property.
12-24-11—At 2:54 a.m., a hotel guest at the Holiday Inn Express at 10111 N.F. Blvd. hung clothes on a sprinkler head and broke it off causing water to flow under pressure and  producing a significant flooding situation. LaSalle companies responding were able to shut down the water supply system . They remained on the scene for two hours assisting with water removal and clean-up, but an estimated $60,000 damage had been done. The sprinkler and fire alarm systems were restored to service before the last unit cleared.
12-24-11—Platoon 4 were sent to a structure fire in the 2900 block of Whirlpool Ave. at 12:21 p.m.  A resident had started cooking on the stove top and then left the house.  While the occupant was gone, one of the numerous dogs or cats present apparently knocked over a  cooking vessel–starting the fire. Heavy fire in the kitchen area presented to first arriving crews. Extinguishment was rapid, but not before four cats and three dogs had perished from smoke inhalation. $38,000 damage.
12-24-11–A vehicle fire was reported in the 100 block of 65th St. at 1:09 p.m.  Engine 7’s crew–Captain Joe Azbell, Firefighters Frank Casper, and Chris Bodenstein used an 1 3/4 inch hoseline to put out a fire in the engine compartment of a 2000 Chevy  Blazer.  The cause was found to be an electrical problem and damage was $1000.